Thursday, October 13, 2011

Oh I'm just....

I read something similar to this a week or so ago and it really got me thinking.

How many times when asked what I do for a living I say, "Oh I'm just a mom". I down play my role as a mother. I down play what I do. I downplay it because, while I know what I do is important, sometimes others do not. Often I've felt like I must defend my choice to stay at home and prove my worth and my value.


Before I get to far on this subject, I want to say..... It doesn't matter if a mother decides to stay at home or work, at least not to me. I have no opinions on it one way or another. We are all built differently, have different situations, different needs, different opinions and no one is in the position to judge another. There is a happy middle and everyone has to find that in their own family. As long as our kids are loved, happy and cherished it doesn't matter what road we take to get there. I have much respect for working mother's, it's a balancing act and most working mom's do it beautifully!!

So back to the point :)......
I stay at home with my children because myself and my husband chose that. I actually wanted to go back to work (because I didn't want to be viewed as lazy, I'm a very social person, and generally a busy body, I always have to have something going on) and Jeff didn't like the idea of the girls in daycare and asked me to reconsider. I'm glad I did. I have worked since I was 13 and as soon as the kids are not so dependent on me I'll be working until I retire. So why not enjoy and cherish and live in the short amount of time my children need me the most and worry about making money later??

I have enjoyed this time with my children more than any other time of my life. I haven't had to miss anything. Isn't that an amazing blessing??? I'm blessed to be able to stay at home with my girls. They are my priority, they are my life's work, they are my "job". I LOVE what I do. I love that I am always there for them and that I'm able to be so involved. I love that we can have adventures, go places, do what we want and I'm there for it all. Isn't that a good enough job??

What I do "IS" important. I DO have value and my "job" DOES  have worth. I'm not JUST a mom. I am the glue of  my family and I am A MOM, a pretty good one most of the time. I do have my flaws though and I do have my days, and I have my moments that I resemble more of a angry lion than that of a sweet gentle mother.  I'm sure they could cope without me but it wouldn't be as easy..lol. When someone doesn't see the value or worth in my "job" it saddens me....and ticks me off a little. :) I want to drag them back to my house and make them do my "job" for a week, a month, a year.

Every job that is done has a meaning.... a purpose. It doesn't matter if you are a CEO or a stay at home mom. What you do IS important, has worth, has value and makes a difference. Everyone should be able to step back and see the worth of another person's work....big or small. Have respect for hard work, sweat and tears that someone has put in and be supportive, encouraging and uplifting.

This week Randi had to turn in a paper about her family. It asked our address, city, state, country, the names of family members, what her chores were, what her dad's job was and what her mom's job was. She had everything filled out but what my job was. She said "what is your job mom??" so I asked her "What do you think my job is" she answered "Your my mom, you take care of me and get me everything I need, you take me places and teach me you drive me around and make me food". Then she wrote on the space provided beside the question, 
 Your mom's job is: Being my mom
Yup, that's good enough for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment