The other day I was watching something or reading something, can't remember. But a doctor was saying that it's nearly impossible for humans to live "in the moment" on a constant basis because our brains do not function this way. We, as humans, are programmed to be constantly predicting, planning and looking to the future. While this is a great function, it has it's down falls. NO WONDER it's so hard for me to sit down and just be. Just be silent, still and enjoy what is right in front of me. I can be having a conversation with my daughter about why we shouldn't roller skate in the house but be thinking about cleaning the bathroom or getting to Walmart.
A week or two ago we were heading home after a t-ball game and a t-ball clinic. We had been there for 3 hours after an already long busy day. It was HOT, all 4 of us were cranky and tired. The kids were screaming and fighting in the back seats, the music was loud and I was about ready to lose it. I looked over at Jeff and he was smiling. What??? Why was this crazy man smiling! I was miserable and about to have a break down and he was smiling. That one smile changed my mood and my thoughts immediately. I didn't say anything and neither did he. I just smiled back.
We are EXTREMELY blessed. Not just a little, A LOT!! Beautiful healthy children, happy stable marriage, we have everything that we need....everything! So while my crazy thinking continued after the smile, my thoughts (through the screaming, heat and music) were good and were about what matters.
So I'm making a list of things I know to be true. Things I should keep my mind on and concentrate on. Things that are most important and precious to me and things I want my children to know and live by. This is not a complete list at all but things that have been in my head and things I know to be true today. :)
- Family is the single most important thing in my life and where my priority lies. No Exceptions.
- Kids are a TON of work. They are the only living thing that can suck the life out of you and give it back all in the same moment.
- Kids are loud, messy, crazy balls of energy all while being amazing, beautiful and life changing
- My girls have taught me so many more lessons than I'll ever be able to teach them.
- If you are blessed with health, shelter and food or maybe even none of these. You should give back.
- You have to throw caution to the wind once in awhile.
- If something presses on your heart, do something about it.
- Fun should take priority over many more things than I allow it to.
- Show compassion when needed, courage when needed and weakness when needed.
- There is no such thing as perfect, not even close. My family is perfectly imperfect.
- Count your blessings often
- Being happy is realizing what you have, whatever it may be, and being thankful for it