Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Chaos: It's a Good Thing

My personality is a little quirky. I'm super picky about somethings and not so much about others. However, I do like things to be in order, to be organized and remain that way. Not so much to ask for right?? Unplanned occasions, problems, things to do.. give me anxiety.  I try hard to just go with the flow and normally I do well. When my house gets crazy messy (which it does) and when I have something to do that is hanging over my head (which I normally do) I get a bit anxious. I feel totally out of control.

I've learned, though, that these situations ARE going to happen, no matter what I do, and it's how I respond that really matters. On those occasions where I can't seem to "go with the flow" I get grumpy, inpatient, short tempered. I'm' not pleasant to be around. ...at all.  Just ask Jeff and the kids. I'm sure they would be happy to tell you :)

The girls laugh hysterically when chaos hits our house...or rather hits Jeff or myself....they don't laugh so much when it's their turn for chaos to visit them. There have been so many occasions when I seriously think I may loose it....drink spills on the floor while I'm carrying a load full of stuff into the house, I then proceed to slip and scream and wave my arms to try to catch myself...by the way I did catch myself..dropping everything that was in my arms onto the puddle on the ground that I just slipped in. While this is happening our 3 dogs that are ecstatic we are home are going crazy, turning circles, running around, hitting stuff and us with their tails and bodies. The kids just die laughing. I'm sure it is actually really funny to see someone loose total control of a situation and watch the whole thing unfold. CHAOS, my friends is what that is called.


So why is chaos a good thing? Here are my Top 5 reasons:

  1. Chaos is great for reminding those of us who have control issues (not me, of course) to let go. If you can't seem to let go, chaos will do it for you.....over and over again...even after you've learned the lesson. 
  2. Chaos will make you laugh. Maybe not at first. You may loose your mind, get angry, yell, turn red, and say a few choice words. But after all that is done, eventually you will laugh. It is always funny later.
  3. Chaos will give you perspective. While you are living in the chaotic moment and losing control you feel totally overwhelmed and helpless. Shortly after the chaotic moment ends you gain sanity again (hopefully) and can be thankful that not all days are chaotic and that things could be much worse and be thankful that they are not.
  4. Chaos gives you an opportunity to show how well you work under pressure. If you do well you can totally put that on your resume. 
  5. Chaos teaches your children/spouse and even yourself an important lesson. STUFF HAPPENS....even to the best of us. Nobody is above it, or immune. There is no such thing as perfect and chaos will make sure of it. Just deal with it gracefully when it's your turn (I don't always manage to do this), but I try. I will be trying harder though. I go long periods without getting hit with chaos so it's hard to remember to be humble when it is my turn.

No comments:

Post a Comment